Monday, July 9, 2012

Up For a Challenge?

My family and I are trying out a new church in our community. So far, we are so impressed by the pastor and his ability to deliver the Lord's word. Yesterday, he talked briefly about fasting. 

When I was about twelve years old, I remember doing the 30 Hour Famine with my youth group. For those of you who aren't familiar with the famine, it's where students all around the world come together and fight against starvation and hunger. One the same day and at the same time, students unite together for 30 hours to participate in the famine. During those 30 hour hours you fellowship, learn about hunger, and raise funds for the thousands of children around the world who are starving. I remember it being very difficult to go without food, but it was so worth it!

Other than participating in the 30 hour famine,  I haven't looked further into what fasting is truly all about. Yesterday, our pastor brought to my attention how fasting is about drawing yourself closer to God. It's about sacrifice, self- control, and building your relationship with him. It states in the bible how there was a time when Jesus fasted from all food and drink, except water. Luke 4:2 states "Where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during the days, and at the end of them he was hungry." Wow, what a sacrifice he made.

With fasting, all of the time that would normally be spent consuming food will be instead spent in the presence of God through prayer or worship. The goal is to replace the feeding of the needs of physical hunger with the feeding of one's spiritual hunger. The congregation has been challenged to take part in this one day out of each week.

My pastor's quick words about fasting resulted in me taking on this challenge for God. This is my first day of fasting and I won't lie- it's not easy! 

So, I want to challenge YOU to join me in this journey! Let's learn what sacrifice and self control is all about, all while building our relationship with the Lord. Remember: 24 hours ONE day a week! 

Are you with me? :)

1 comment: